A magnitude 5.9 earthquake started in Virginia at 1:51 p.m. a year ago today. Shakes were felt in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and New York.
Some people had books jump off shelves, cracks appeared in sidewalks and streets, and others felt nothing at all.
Where were you when the earthquake struck? Was it exciting, or scary?
Here's what people said then:
9:57 pm on Tuesday, August 23, 2011
I was having a conversation with my neighboor, and watched as the houses across the street started to sway.
Resident said, " I think were all in trouble now."
Thankfully not the case.
6:01 am on Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Serious shaking in Horsham, @ first didn't think much of it as I live in close proximity to the base and and have grown accustomed to shaking, even when a garbage truck goes down my street it vibrates a bit. But, this vibration was definitely different and scary once I found out exactly what it was afterwards.
- @JessekaPatch 1:53pm via HootSuite: I think there was just an #earthquake in Philly. My entire house just shook.
- @BuxMontNews 1:57pm via Web: Birds stopped chirping then about 15 to 30 seconds of shaking in Upper Southampton @USHamptonPatch @phillywx
- @LevittownPatch 2:02pm via Twitter: I swear I just felt an earthquake in Levittown. Others said they felt one too. Have you?
- @DoylestownPatch 2:02pm via Twitter for iPhone: I'm in OCMD and we just felt a small #earthquake at the beach.
- @WarminsterPatch 2:02pm via foursquare: Just felt the earth move. Reports say 5.8 earthquake started in Virginia. (@ Starbucks w/ @USHamptonPatch) 4sq.com/ntIXCv
- @MontcoAlerts 2:21pm via HootSuite:@hatboropatch felt it here in montgomery county,lansdale,upper dublin,montgomery twp and east norrtion.