Despite steady rain, many local families visited the Bucks County Visitor Center in Bensalem last night hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa and Mrs. Claus, who dropped by to magically turn on the Christmas lights and take photos with good little boys and girls.
Santa arrived via a Bensalem fire engine and thrilled the children in attendance, who also had cookies and apple juice for snacks. All were entertained by Bob Egan playing holiday favorites on the piano.
If you didn't make it out last night, Santa will return to take photos with children from 1-3 p.m. on Sundays: Nov. 27, Dec. 4 and Dec. 11. On Dec. 11, Santa will stay for an extra hour until 4 p.m. to take pictures with pets. Be sure to bring your own camera.
In addition to Santa's arrival last night, Visit Bucks County, the county’s tourism promotion agency, celebrated the opening of its 6th Annual Bucks County Holiday TreeFest. The ongoing event features 25 uniquely themed trees that will be on display through Jan. 7. Each tree is decorated by a local business or organization.
2011 Holiday TreeFest participants:
- Snipes Farm and Education Center: “Incredible Edibles”
- Nottingham Fire Company: “Bensalem’s Bravest”
- Anthony Sinagoga Photography: “Say Cheese!”
- Monster Mini-Golf: “Monstrous Tree”
- Keeping Up! LLC: “Treefest Cancer Fight”
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts: “Very Merry Doughnuts”
- Bucks County Wine Trail: “Along the Trail in Bucks”
- BounceU: “Have Yourself a Bouncy Little Christmas”
- Sam’s Motorcycles: “Have a Harley Holiday”
- James River Cabinetry: “Handmade in Bucks County” (Decorated by St. Andrew Father’s Committee)
- Courtyard by Marriott Bensalem: “Home Away from Home”
- Shady Brook Farm: “Giving Shoes” (Decorated by Re-use Your Shoes)
- New Hope Chamber of Commerce: “New Hope for the Holidays”
- Brunswick Zone XL: “Helping the Homeless”
- Bucks County Courier Times/The Intelligencer: “Being Gentle to the Earth”
- Applebee’s Bensalem: “Eating Good in the Neighborhood”
- Carson Valley Children’s Aid: “The Commitment Tree”
- AVON: “Home for the Holidays”
- St. Katharine Drexel Mission Center & Shrine: “Peace on Earth to All of Good Will”
- 263 Marketplace: “Trim the Pine and Drink Some Wine”
- Conifer’s Image: “Celebrating 100 Years of Girl Scouts”
- The Sportsplex: “Irish Eyes Are Upon You”
- Pearl S Buck House: “A Critter Christmas” (Decorated by Manor College)
- Rotary Club of Bensalem: “Reach Within to Embrace Humanity”
- Twining Village Retirement Community: “Twining Village Building the Future”
Also, the Visitor Center is a drop-off location for Re-Use Your Shoes. Visitors are encouraged to bring gently worn shoes to the Visitor Center to help our local community in need.
The Bucks County Visitor Center will also host a drop box for the Holiday Mail for Heroes program. The public is invited to bring unsealed holiday cards containing messages of cheer and appreciation to our troops. No postage necessary.
For a complete schedule of events, check out VisitBucksCounty.com/Treefest.