Trailer Park Developer May Resubmit Townhome Plan
In a five-page letter to the township, County Builders said it would consider submitting a plan for 56 townhomes provided township officials agree to a series of conditions.
The developer proposing a controversial 56-pad trailer park at the Newtown Swim Club says it would reconsider building townhomes on the site—provided township officials agree to a series of conditions.
In a five-page letter to the township, the developer’s lawyer, John VanLuvanee, says County Builders would consider filing a second application for the site that consists of 56 townhomes—four more units than original townhome application that was not supported by the board.
The letter, dated March 19, goes on to say the second application for townhomes will only be submitted if officials agree to six conditions, including seven waivers of the township’s Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance.
According to the letter, township officials must agree that County Builders can have the townhome plan and the mobile home plan pending simultaneously. “The filing of the townhome application does not constitute and shall not be construed as a withdraw of the mobile home plan,” the letter states.
County Builders says it will only resubmit the townhome plan if the Board of Supervisors agrees ahead of time to grant seven waivers of the Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance, including rules pertaining to street size, parking locations and dedicated open space.
The letter states County Builders will only withdraw the mobile home plan if and when it receives final approval from the township for the 56-unit townhome development.
The Board of Supervisors will be discussing the letter and County Builder’s proposal at its next meeting, March 27 at 7:30 p.m.
The swim club is closing after this summer and owner David Platt is working with County Builders to create a residential development.
The application for a mobile home park was submitted in December after the Newtown Township Board of Supervisors voted 3-2 to send its solicitor to the Zoning Hearing Board to defend the township's zoning regulations with regards to County Builders' 52-townhome proposal. The townhome proposal required a variance because it exceeded the housing density permitted in that zoning district.
Since then, in response to the community’s outrage over the trailer park proposal, board member Matt Benchener said he would now support townhomes, which would give County Builders the support they need to move forward.
In response to the public outcry, township officials in January directed its solicitor to reach out to County Builders and see if it would reconsider the townhome plan.