Newtown Borough will be bustling Saturday as residents and visitors flock to the annual Market Day celebration.
The colonial craft and art fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Half Moon Inn on Court Street and Centre Ave. It will feature crafters, music, food, kids entertainment and more.The event is sponsored by the Newtown Historic Association.
Organizers expect more than 60 crafters, demonstrators and artists to be in attendance with a wide variety of crafts -- like quilting, rug braiding, spinning, fine arts, photography and woodcarving.
Here’s a look at what’s in store for the day:
- From noon to 3 p.m., there will be demonstrations of candle dipping, punched tin and other colonial crafts.
- There will be face painting, children’s crafts and live entertainment.
- The Newtown Creek Coalition, whose mission is to preserve and protect Newtown Creek, will have a display table in front of the Newtown Hardware House. Children can learn about the fish that live in Newtown Creek and catch one from a fishbowl to win a prize. Coalition t-shirts will be for sale.
- A Better Way Farm will be offering horse-drawn hayrides around Court, Penn, Congress and Mercer streets.
- Local restaurants, including Lee’s Hoagie House, Styers and others, will be selling food. Best Darn Kettle Corn will be offering fresh kettle corn.
- Mercy Ingraham will prepare colonial recipes during an open hearth cooking demonstration.
- Just down the road, The Temperance House is hosting a free Brewfest pre-event beer sampling from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tickets for Brewfest, which is Oct. 20, will be on sale.
Visit www.newtownhistoric.org for more information on Market Day.