Beneficial Bank and the Newtown Township Board of Supervisors are at odds over a proposal for a Sycamore Street location.
Earlier this month, the board rejected the bank’s plans to put a branch at the former Stockburger car dealership. One board member who voted no said he was concerned the entrance and exit proposed for Richboro Road would add to an already congested intersection.
Traffic issues aside, do you think Newtown needs another bank?
A quick online search reveals there are more than a dozen already in town. Including:
- Wells Fargo, 2901 S Eagle Rd
- Bank of America, 2900 S Eagle Rd
- 3rd Federal, 950 Newtown Yardley Rd and 3 Penns Trail
- Citizens Bank, 31 Cambridge Ln and also one in the Acme Supermarket
- First National Bank and Trust of Newtown, 40 S. State St and 773 Newtown Yardley Rd
- Monument Bank, 33 Swamp Rd
- TD Bank, 1 Richboro Newtown Rd and 90 Upper Silver Lake Rd
- Sovereign Bank, 3 Terry Dr.
- Firstrust Bank, 11 Durham Rd
- First Federal of Bucks County, 295 N Sycamore St and 803 Park Ave.
- Team Capital Bank, 210 Penns Trail
- First Priority Bank, 104 Pheasant Run
- PNC Bank, 2500 S Eagle Rd
Representatives from Beneficial Bank have requested the board reconsider its decision. If not, they say they plan to take legal action against the township. The board is expected to discuss the issue at a meeting Wednesday.
Do you think Newtown needs another bank? If not, what would you prefer to see on Sycamore St? Share your thoughts in the comment section of this article.