.

UPDATED: Crews Battle Another Major Fire

Saturday's house fire on Thompson Mill Road was likely accidental in nature, said Lingohocken Fire Company Chief Greg Jakubowski.

Updated at 12:10 p.m. to include information from Greg Jakubowski, Lingohocken Fire Company chief.

A third major fire since Thursday occurred Saturday night at a house on Thompson Mill Road in Upper Makefield.

Crews from the Newtown Fire Association assisted the Upper Makefield Fire Company and the Lingohocken Fire Company in fighting the dwelling fire, which began around 10:30 p.m. 

There were no injuries.

According to Lingohocken Fire Company Chief Greg Jakubowski, the fire began at the roof over the garage and spread to the attic and roof over the main house.  

Since the home is several miles from the nearest hydrant, additional water tanker apparatus and engines were requested from companies, including Eagle Fire Company of New Hope, Northampton Fire Company, Warwick Fire Company, Point Pleasant Fire Company and the Lambertville Fire Deptartment, Jakubowski said.   

Crews had the fire under control in about an hour, Jakubowski said.  Units remained on the scene for almost four hours to ensure the fire was extinguished and to attempt to protect contents, he added.  

Damage estimates are not yet finalized but will be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, Jakubowski said.

The fire is under investigation by the Upper Makefield Township fire marshal but initial conclusions are that the cause is accidental in nature, Jakubowski said.

It was the third major fire that required response from Newtown Fire Association crews since Thursday.

The first of the three fires occurred Thursday night on Pansy Court in Newtown Grant. The fire, which officials said was caused by the spontanious combustion of rags soaked in flammable materials, destroyed the two-story home. A help fund for the victims has been created.

Then, on Saturday morning a fire engulfed a barn at Thorpe Farm in Upper Makefield. The barn housed trucks and other large equipment. No one was injured.

Carol Boyle October 16, 2012 at 04:16 AM
I can't help but think about the PECO meters that were sparking up around town. They have replaced ours, only after I reported voltage problems throughout our neighborhood. Such a scary thing. I hope the families are OK and can rebuild quickly.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »