Early Morning Accident Leaves Path of Destruction, Ends in DUI

A 25-year-old Newtown Township resident was charged with DUI and Reckless Driving after the early-morning incident on South Sycamore Street.

A path of destruction led Newtown Township police to a man suspected of driving under the influence early this morning on South Sycamore Street.

Shortly after 1 a.m., police responded to a report of a one-car accident. But when they arrived on the scene, they couldn’t find the car.

Police said they “followed a path of damaged property” – which included a destroyed mailbox, two knocked-over light poles and an uprooted tree – to the driver on Buck Rock near Mill Pond Road. Police have not released the name of the driver but said he’s a 25-year-old township resident.

He was charged with DUI, Reckless Driving and accidents involving unattended property, police said.

According to witnesses, the path of destruction began when the car ran into a curb on South Sycamore Street. The impact caused the two right side tires on the man’s pick up truck to blow out. The truck then traveled onto the sidewalk and over a resident’s lawn, causing damage to the lawn and knocking over the mailbox, police said.  

Then, as the motorist continued, he knocked over a township-owned light pole, which came crashing down onto the back of his pickup, breaking the rear window, police said.

After knocking over the light pole, police said the driver completely uprooted a tree in front of Chandler Hall, struck and knocked over a second township-owned light pole and then hit another tree.  

A witness told officers at that point, the vehicle rotated 180 degrees clockwise onto the grass in front Chandler Hall.  

According to police, the truck had severe front-end damage and both right-side tires were flat. The front tire was torn off the rim but the driver continued driving it.  

Police located the spare tire more than 400 feet from the initial point of impact.

The first officer to make contact with the driver had to assist him in getting out of the pick-up truck, according to police  There was a heavy odor of alcoholic beverage emanating from the driver, who appeared confused, was unsteady on his feet and had a hard time answering questions about the accident, police said.

A PBT was administered to the driver and indicated the presence of a significant quantity of alcoholic beverage in his system. He was transported to Saint Mary Medical Center where he refused to submit to a blood test to determine the level of alcohol in his system. He also refused medical treatment for minor cuts.  

darlene September 28, 2012 at 08:07 PM
thank God nobody else got hurt or killed!
the REAL VOICE September 29, 2012 at 08:33 AM
What's his NAME ?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »