The bell rang 12 times – one for each of the dozen Bucks County law enforcement officers who gave their lives while protecting their communities.
With heads bowed, dozens of law enforcement officers, family of the fallen officers and members of the public gathered Monday at in Newtown to pay tribute to those who lost their lives while serving.
Officers from throughout the county, including Newtown Borough and Township, Falls, Bensalem, Lower Southampton, Bristol, Lower Makefield, Warminster and more, participated in the evening service.
The memorial service was held in conjunction with National Police Week.
Monsignor Michael Picard of St. Andrew’s offered an opening prayer seeking peace for the victims and their families.
Falls Township Police Chief Bill Wilcox also recognized the sacrifice of the fallen officers. “Their memory and legacies remain steadfast in our hearts and minds everyday,” Wilcox said. “We pray their families can remain strong in their knowledge that they will be reunited with their loved ones someday.”
During the service, a memorial hat in memory of each Bucks County officer who died in the line of duty was placed on a table at the front of the church. The Philadelphia Police and Fire Pipes and Drums provided music, along with the St. Andrew’s Choir.
After a memorial wreath was placed at the head of the church, the Pennsylvania State Police played Taps, followed by “Amazing Grace” by the pipes and drums band.
The 12 fallen officers who were memorialized during the service are:
- Pennsylvania State Constable Henry A. Kolbe, Sept. 22, 1914
- Bucks County Sheriff Abraham L. Kulp, Feb. 24, 1927
- Dublin Borough Police Chief Eli M. Myers, Oct. 31, 1965
- Bristol Township Police Sergeant George M. Stuckey, March 29, 1972
- Bensalem Township Police Officer James K. Armstrong, April 15, 1975
- Bensalem Township Police Officer Robert A. Yezzi, Aug. 12, 1980
- Bucks County Deputy Sheriff George M. Warta Jr., Sept. 22, 1986
- Bucks County Deputy Sheriff Thomas A. Bateman, Sept. 22, 1986
- Bucks County Ranger Stanley E. Flynn, June 9, 1993
- Plumstead Township Police Officer Joseph Hanusey, May 18, 2002
- Newtown Borough Police Officer , Sept. 29, 2005
- Middletown Township Detective Christopher C. Jones, Jan. 29, 2009