UPDATED: Fire on Pansy Court Destroys Home

The fire was likely caused by rags soaked in flammable materials that contractors left on the front porch.

Updated at 5:22 p.m. to include likely cause of fire.

The Newtown Fire Association battled a blaze on Pansy Court in Newtown Grant Thursday night.

The fire destroyed a two-story home. No injuries were reported. 

Newtown Township Fire Marshal Don Harris said the fire was likely caused by rags soaked in flammable materials that contractors left on the front porch. The rags had apparently been soaked in paint thinner and linseed oil and were stored in a sealed bag, where they later spontaneously combusted, according to information from the Newtown Fire Association.

Lingohocken Fire Company and Northampton Fire Company assisted in fighting the blaze.

Click here to view more photos on Newtown Fire Association's website. 

jilly October 12, 2012 at 06:32 PM
Was anyone injured?
Kara Seymour October 12, 2012 at 06:58 PM
no. I am working to find out the cause; it is currently being investigated
Marilyn Smith-Scarpa October 12, 2012 at 08:01 PM
This is terrible. Glad no one was hurt. Sending in, thanks Margaret.
D C Signs October 12, 2012 at 08:21 PM
I live on the street and thank goodness nobody was hurt! The homeowners were able to get both of their cars out of the driveway just in time. The intensity of the fire was so strong that the cars could have exploded and the house was engulfed within just a few minutes! We think that it might have been caused by linseed oil soaked rags left on their front porch by some people they had working on the exterior of the house.
AD 2005 October 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM
I live in the neighborhood (across the street) and heard that linseed oil soaked rags were left in a bag. Being a chemist I know that linseed oil oxidizes very rapidly (especially oil soaked rags) and the reaction is highly exothermic and generates lots of heat and leads to spontaneous combustion if the heat is not allowed to dissipate. The linseed oil soaked rags should be aired out and not put in containers or bags. It was very thoughtful to set up the fund.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »