Without Smoke Detectors, Bristol Fires Could Have Been Worse

Working smoke detectors alerted residents during two fires in Bristol Township.

Bristol Township Fire Marshal Kevin Dippolito credits working smoke detectors with preventing two possible catastrophes.

A working detector and a fast-acting neighbor helped save a house on Grapevine Road in the Goldenridge section of the township from spreading Thursday night.

The resident, Dippolito explained, was in shower when a pot of grease on the stove caught the kitchen ablaze. Her neighbor saw the flames and was able to extinguish the fire quickly using an extinguisher.

Both the resident, her young child and hero neighbor were uninjured,  Dippolito  said.

A woman sleeping on the sofa in her Schumacher Drive home was awoken by a smoke detector during an afternoon fire in a second incident.

Dippolito said the woman, who was unhurt, grabbed her dog and phone and exited the house once she heard the detector.

An investigation revealed the fire started with with either an extension cord, or the electrical socket it was plugged into, Dippolito said. The fire was contained to the bedroom.

The resident was assisted by the Red Cross.

Dippolito told Patch that the working detectors saved the homes from more damage.

Helene November 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Koodos to the famiilies for having smoke detectors and this is a sample of lives being saved. The moral of the story.................. make sure you have working smoke detectors and be sure you batteries are checked and regularly changed.
Tom Sofield November 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Good advice!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »