Newtown Borough Council will consider passing a $2.46 million budget for 2013 at a meeting tonight. The meeting gets underway at 7 p.m. at the Chancellor Center.
The budget as drafted will not increase taxes for residents; the average borough household will continue to pay about $360 a year for municipal services.
The agenda also includes the following items:
Moment of silence
Pledge of allegiance
Mayor’s report – Dennis O’Brien
November police report
- Thank you to all those who participated in decorating State Street for the holidays
- First Night Newtown is December 31, 2012
President’s report – Robert Walker
Engineer’s report – Mario Canales
- South Elm Avenue Paving Project: Approve payment to Kehoe Construction, Inc. in the amount of $35,999.45, upon receipt of the 12 month maintenance bond for the South Elm Avenue Resurfacing Project.
Approval of minutes
- Budget & Finance – Robert Walker & Charles Machion
2013 Budget Discussion/Presentation
Year 2013 Budget Ordinance
- Adopt Ordinance #731 Year for the 2013 Budget of $2,461,597.
Tax Rate Ordinance
- Adopt Ordinance #732 setting the Tax Rate for Year 2013 as follows: General Fund 6.25 Mills; Lighting Fund .5 Mill; Fire Tax Fund .875 Mills; Street Improvement Fund 1.125 Mills; Ambulance Fund .25 Mills; Earned Income Tax @ 1%; Realty Transfer Tax @ 1%; and Local Services Tax @ $52.00.
Year 2013 Tax Ordinance Fixing Salaries
- Adopt Ordinance #732 Fixing Salaries and other compensation for elected tax collector, auditor and Council appointees for Year 2013.
Personnel Committee – John Burke
- Appoint Victor Cocozza to the Traffic Management Committee.
- Appoint David Krewson to the Traffic Management Committee.
- Appoint Ralph Ippoliti to the Recreation Board for a 5-year term through December 31, 2017.
Police Committee – Robert Walker & Charles Machion
- Approve the Police Chief’s Agreement for 2013
Solicitor’s Report – William J. Bolla
- Adopt Ordinance #729 amending the Newtown Borough Noise and Nuisance Ordinance to define additional exemptions.