After years of waiting, local athletes will finally be able to use the fields at Veterans Park in October.
Township Parks and Recreation Director Kathy Pawlenko announced Wednesday the fields will open Oct. 5. An opening day celebration will be held to mark the occasion.
The park was officially dedicated in May 2011 but because of problems with the quality of the grass, the fields have only been utilized on a limited basis. The park, located off Durham Road across the street from Clark Nature Center, has six ball fields.
Council Rock Newtown Athletic Association used the park on a limited basis last spring, but it came with a $7,000 price tag. That’s the amount the CRNAA had to pay to build mounds and prepare the fields for play.
Here’s the schedule for the opening day celebration:
- 9 a.m. - ribbon cutting and Chick-fil-A family games
- 9:30 a.m. - baseball same at the U.S. Marine Field
- 9:30 a.m. - lacrosse game at the U.S. Merchant Marine Field
- 9:30 a.m. - soccer game at the U.S. Navy Field
- 9:30 a.m. - soccer game at the U.S. Coast Guard Field
- 10 a.m. - make a scarecrow (fee)
- 11 a.m. - I9 flag football at the U.S. Navy Field
There will also be a community yard sale sponsored by the Newtown Township Parks and Recreation Board. All proceeds from space rentals and snack sales will benefit fundraising for Noah’s Playground at Veterans Park.